The club is in full-swing with lots of hiking and paddling each week. Our numbers are up this year and some events are filling up. Two upcoming camps offer more opportunities to participate in outdoor activities.
In 2012, we started off hosting a spring camp at Wells Gray Park. Members camped at the Pyramid Campground and we went on three hikes in the corridor over the long weekend. The highlight hike was Majerus Falls. In 2013, we have set our Spring Camp at Clearwater Lake. Participants will camp at one of two campgrounds at the lake. Since it is the long weekend, the sites will probably fill up, so we can book a site at Falls Campground, or we can drive up early enough to get one of the first-come, first served sites. The trails to be hiked this year include Chain Meadows, Sticta Falls, Dragons Tongue, and Baileys Chute/West Lake Loop. We are also encouraging participants to bring kayaks so that we can paddle on Clearwater Lake. For more information, see the event listing on the right.
This year we have booked the McQueen Lake Environmental Center for the weekend of June 7 – 9th. KHC is a member of the Federation of Mountain Clubs of B.C. and the AGM will be hosted at the site on Saturday. Club members, guests, and visitors will enjoy the camp facilities for two nights. Club members are organizing the meals, hikes, and social activities. This is an unique opportunity for like-minded people to share a special facility and enjoy outdoors activities. More information can be found in the event listings on the right.
In 2013, Kamloops Hiking Club will offer snowshoeing, hiking, and recreational paddling. We did some paddling last year, but are taking on a full program this year: Recreational paddling will be hosted Monday nights, starting at 6:00pm on April 29th … Continue reading
This Saturday, Kamloops Hiking Club is hosting a Hike for Wildlife, a community event in support of the Canadian Wildlife Federation. KHC, Kamloops Outdoor Club, and the public are invited to hike the McQueen Creek Grasslands on Saturday at 10:00. … Continue reading
Kamloops Hiking Club organizes hiking, but also snowshoeing backpacking, camping, and paddling. Recreational paddling will be offered on a weekly basis starting at the end of April. Outings will be posted as events on-line and members and guests can sign-up … Continue reading
KHC Chirps is a summary of current news: The Club had a successful social and AGM on March 24th. Thanks to the participants and the potluck organizers Michelle and Katherine. We would like to acknowledge the Hampton Inn for their … Continue reading
Our annual Annual General Meeting is coming up, March 24th at 6:00 pm. As a registered Society this is both a requirement and a practical necessity. Our goal is to keep the business end of the meeting brief. Just as … Continue reading
The first hike on the trails without snow this year was the On the Dirt Hike, a route through the lower Barren Hills, on the benchlands above the North Shore. Fifteen people and three dogs hiked out across the trails … Continue reading
As the birds welcome spring, we have some KHChirps to share:
- Here is the Federation of Mountain Clubs Enews – 2013-02FMCBCE-News
- Thanks to Christina for managing the Twitter account for KHC. She would like to pass it to a new person at the AGM.
- Hikes start this weekend. Expect some snow, mud, and possibly some ice on trails for the first half of March.
- Don't forget to register for the AGM.
- Registation for our Spring Camp at Clearwater Lake is now available.
- The McQueen Camp Committee has been hard at work organizing the weekend. See the listing for more details.
- Members are invited to upload photos into albums on the Photo Gallery site.
- Backpacking trips are now being planned for the summer. Some of these destinations have to be booked three months in advance, which means the planning starts 4 months out. At this time, Katherine is working on plans for 3 night trip to Lake O'Hara. Other destinations are under discussion too. Contact Katherine if you are interested.
We have added a photo gallery for club members. To see it, click the Photo Gallery page on the menu (top right). Click the link to get to the Gallery. Right now there are two albums to see but members … Continue reading