KHC's spring hike to Neskonlith Meadows:
Some events fill up quickly and some don't so here are some brief tips on booking into the events you want.
- New events arise without any fanfare so check the site often and go down the list looking for events that interest you.
- If you wait too long, the event may fill up. The best way to book in is to plan ahead.
- Even full events have spaces open up in the last 48 hours. Another successful strategy is to book into events on short notice, after cancellations have happened.
- If you want to change your booking from 1 to 2 or 2 to 1, cancel your booking, then immediately rebook with the change.
- Most events have a cut-off time for booking or cancelling. It is usually within the last 2 hours.
- Network with Club members for informal meet-ups if events are full.
Some recent changes to the website to report too:
- the participants list for an event is only visible if you are logged in. This feature is added to support privacy concerns.
- all events are back into one list so that chronological order of upcoming events is displayed. Icons are used to differentiate activities. If the icons don't render properly for you, it is your browser choice that affects what you can see (these all work fine with Firefox in a Windows OS).
- the site has been optimized for better performance on mobile phones
- more summer events have now been enabled for registration and more are in planning stages.
Some post-AGM news items:
- the AGM went well with 43 members attending
- our thanks to Leanne Peniuk for organizing the social/potluck
- thanks also to Michelle Dressler, Katherine Roberts, Ed Hennan, and Clive Giolma for their help with various facets of the event
- KHC’s Volunteer of the Year for 2013-1204 is Wendy Kineshanko
- 11 Directors were elected to the 2014-2015 Board
- neither a president nor a vice president was elected at the AGM so the Board will appoint Directors to those positions at their first Board meeting
- our thanks to retiring Directors Michelle Dressler, Leanne Penuik, Ed Hennan, and Lori Rilkoff
- welcome to new Directors Ranj Kaur, Kathy Grieve, Clive Giolma, Greg Arvidson, and John Moslin, as well as returning Directors Dave Schmidt, Katherine Roberts, Carol Pugle, Wendy Kineshanko, Sheila Powell, and Doug Smith (Past President)
- minutes of the AGM will posted to the site when they are ready
- See you on the trails!
Our Annual General Meeting is fast approaching. We are pleased to have 30 already signed up.
- See the event listing for more details.
- Leanne is organizing the potluck so participants are asked to comment on what they are bringing.
- Katherine and Michelle have organized some draw prizes for those who attend.
- Clive has organized a small gear swap. Bring any outdoor items you would like to sell.
- There will be a raffle for a framed photo. Thanks to Ed Hennan for his donation to the event.
- Nominations for a Board position can be done in advance by emailing Ed Hennan or by a nomination from the floor during the AGM. We are looking for some new members to replace the retiring Directors. - Call for Nominations
- Most of all, the AGM is a social event, low-key and member-focused. We hope to see you there.
Spring is just around the corner:
- Our AGM is coming up. It’s a good place to meet people, to find out what is proposed for the upcoming year, and to offer your input.
- Changes to our insurance program are pending. A report to be provided at the AGM.
- A gear swap will now be part of the AGM program
- KHC is a member of the Federation of Mountain Clubs of BC. Here’s a link to our February E-News: http://bit.ly/FMCFeb14E-News
- Welcome to new hike leaders Ernie Carson and Bob Trudeau.
- There are still places open for our pool kayak session in April.
- Our thanks to Dave Schmidt and Wendy Kineshanko for managing all of the many membership and finance tasks over the last 3 months.
The tagline below Kamloops Hiking Club is “On the Trails.” Do we need a new one? Come out to offer your ideas at our AGM/Social on Mar. 16.