Our Annual General Meeting is fast approaching. We are pleased to have 30 already signed up.
- See the event listing for more details.
- Leanne is organizing the potluck so participants are asked to comment on what they are bringing.
- Katherine and Michelle have organized some draw prizes for those who attend.
- Clive has organized a small gear swap. Bring any outdoor items you would like to sell.
- There will be a raffle for a framed photo. Thanks to Ed Hennan for his donation to the event.
- Nominations for a Board position can be done in advance by emailing Ed Hennan or by a nomination from the floor during the AGM. We are looking for some new members to replace the retiring Directors. - Call for Nominations
- Most of all, the AGM is a social event, low-key and member-focused. We hope to see you there.
Spring is just around the corner:
- Our AGM is coming up. It’s a good place to meet people, to find out what is proposed for the upcoming year, and to offer your input.
- Changes to our insurance program are pending. A report to be provided at the AGM.
- A gear swap will now be part of the AGM program
- KHC is a member of the Federation of Mountain Clubs of BC. Here’s a link to our February E-News: http://bit.ly/FMCFeb14E-News
- Welcome to new hike leaders Ernie Carson and Bob Trudeau.
- There are still places open for our pool kayak session in April.
- Our thanks to Dave Schmidt and Wendy Kineshanko for managing all of the many membership and finance tasks over the last 3 months.
The tagline below Kamloops Hiking Club is “On the Trails.” Do we need a new one? Come out to offer your ideas at our AGM/Social on Mar. 16.
Some short news items, keeping members current:
- In January we reached 150 members and capped the membership.
- We hosted 18 events that month.
- In February, we opened up some more spaces and invited the waiting list to join, making our new total 170. Membership is again capped and won’t be reviewed by the Board until April.
- We hosted 17 events in February.
- Over the winter, 4 events were cancelled or rescheduled due to cold weather or poor driving conditions.
- Over the two months, 35 events were led by 8 hike leaders. We also had 7 co-leaders.
- Of our 170 members, we have received about 82 waivers, indicating that about half our membership was active over the winter months, mostly snowshoeing.
- In March, we already have 16 events posted, led by 5 our our leaders.
- Our AGM is March 16th. A new Board of Directors will be elected at that time.
- We anticipate many more of our members to become more active once the weather warms up. We are hoping to expand our events in April to meet that demand.
- In April, we have 16 events already posted, including some cycling and paddling.
Regular updates come in short news items under the title KHChirps:
- Members are invited to participate in the 2014 Peaks Series (link)
- Paddling and Cycling Events are listed on the lower right sidebar, but links are also now provided on the menu at the top.
- The first paddling and cycling events are now open for registration.
- KHC would like to offer weekend paddles and bike rides too (if you can lead one, please contact us); watch for new events in the spring
- KHC would also like to offer some after-work (mid-week) hikes, bikes, and paddles in the spring; contact us if you can help to lead an event
- Thanks to our active leaders for their time, energy, and contribution to the success of the club.
- Some Q and A’s can now be found on a site page - Q and A’s.
- Members are encouraged to leave a Trip Plan with a friend or family member before going into the backcountry. Adventure Smart has a brochure for your use – AdventureSmart-Brochure.
- What should you do if you get lost or injured in the backcountry? Some words of advice from SAR member Clive Giolma – Clive’s Advice (pdf)
- Our AGM is March 16th. We hope to see you there. – Call for Nominations
- Welcome to our new members from the waiting list.
Ed Hennan photo
An update from our recent Board meeting:
- The Board has decided to redefine the cap (150 members) to not include leaders, thereby allowing space for up to 20 more members. Our Membership Director will be contacting the persons on the waiting list to open some spaces for a brief window of time.
- Roles for Directors have been better defined and will be part of the 2014 AGM nominations process.
- A nominations process for the AGM is provided here – Call for Nominations (pdf) (also to be sent via the March newsletter).
- A Directors’ Succession Plan is now in place.
- A hike leaders’ incentive program and structure has been proposed, to be implemented by the Hike Leaders Committee following the AGM.
- Additional event types and more specific descriptions have been planned.
- The planning for the AGM/Social is well-in hand (link - 2014 AGM)
Flying Squirrel Nest on Wheeler Mountain (R. Walton photo)
The Board is meeting this upcoming week and the agenda includes some discussions and possible decisions:
- Membership Cap – status quo (150) or add a few more members (from the waiting list)
- Membership procedures and policies – final review and any motions required for the upcoming year
- Finance – status and report at the AGM
- Hike Leaders Program
- Events – procedures, policies, etc.
- Club programs – camps, backpacks, socials, annual events
- AGM and nomination process
- Board responsibilities – 2014-2015
- If members would like to provide their thoughts on any of these, they should contact a Club Director (Michelle, Ed, Lori, Carole, Katherine, Wendy, Leanne, Doug, Dave, or Sheila)
- A summary of the minutes will be provided here following the meeting.
- The AGM is scheduled for Mar. 16, at which time we will report to the membership
The weather is starting to warm up and hiking season is only 5 weeks away.
Just a few added short news items:
- Cold weather (especially risk of frostbite) may cause events to be cancelled or rescheduled. Check the website and event listing regularly for more information.
- Our February KHC newsletter was sent to most members’ email addresses, but is also available here: KHC Feb. 2014 Newsletter (pdf)
- Some changes to the website as follows:
- Your Hike Bookings is now on the Menu Bar.
- Hikes and Snowshoeing Events are on the right sidebar.
- Paddling and Cycling are in a separate widget below Hikes on the right sidebar.
- Club Events (seminars, meetings, socials, camps) are now on the left sidebar.
- A new category – Proposed Events - can now be seen on the left sidebar below Comments.
- You can click See All Events at the bottom of any of those widgets to see the whole long list.
- The event template has a revised look to it with a layout designed to give members more information at a glance.
Katherine Roberts photo
Some end of January news items:
- All KHC members are also members of FMCBC. Here is their January Newsletter
- Being a member of KHC is a good way to network to set up meet-ups for informal outings. For more information, see Member Pages>Meet-Ups
- We have 150 members and 10+ on the waiting list
- Snowshoe season runs for another 6 weeks. The first hikes start mid-March. The first bike rides in early April, and the first paddling events mid-April.
- Events are now open for registration into April
- If you can make our AGM/Social on March 16, please register (its a good way to meet other members)
Ed Hennan photo
A few interesting links for KHC members:
A few short late-January news items:
- We have 150 members and 4 persons on the waiting list.
- The Board is meeting on Feb. 12 and the major topic for our discussion is the membership cap. A number of questions will frame our discussion.
- Do we have enough events to meet the expectations of 150 members?
- Should we expand the membership if we have the capacity to do so?
- Will the number of leaders expand to meet the growth of membership?
- The second major topic is the hike leaders program.
- Are we supporting our hike/paddle/bike/snowshoe volunteer leaders sufficiently?
- Do we need to have an incentive program for leaders?
- How can we develop co-leaders from our participants?
- What policies and procedures are needed to support a wide-range of abilities, interests, disciplines, and experience of members and leaders?
- At this point, the registrations appear to be stabilizing (there are a few openings) for our events. Does this mean we are ready to have 165 or 175 members?
- If you have thoughts, please share them with a Club Director.