Some information on the KHC:
- KHC is a registered Society with a constitution and bylaws. Within the incorporation document, the first goal listed is “to organize events for KHC members.”
- The AGM for the Club is usually held in March and all members and guests are welcome.
- KHC is a member of the Federation of Mountain Clubs, Kamloops Sports Council, Kamloops Thompson Trails Alliance, and the Kamloops Natural Areas Advisory Committee.
2017 Board of Directors
- President – Doug Smith
- Vice President – vacant
- Past President/Special Events/Vendors Liaison/Merchandise/EquipmentéHike Leaders – Michelle Dressler
- Treasurer – Dianne Smith
- Director, Membership Services – Frith Powell
- Director, Kamloops Thompson Trail Alliance Liaison – D. Smith
- Director, FMCBC Liaison, Sports Council Liaison, IT Support – Jeremy Markel
- Director, Webmaster and Social Networks –Doug Smith and Frith Powell
- Director, Hike Leaders Committee/ Special Events/New Members liaison – Gerry Hoye
- Director, Hike Leader Committee – Katherine Roberts
- Secretary – Raegan Markel
Some of our Programs:
- AGM/Social – held in March each year
- Hike for Wildlife – in support of the WWF – a hike and fund-raiser – April
- Spring Camp – a camp and hike weekend usually on the May long weekend
- Summer Camps – base camp with hiking
- Learn to Backpack program
- Backpacking – several trips are included each year
- Rivers Day/Great Shoreline Cleanup – September
- Kamloops Thompson Trails Alliance (membership, support, work parties)
- Fall Social
- Seminars and workshops
- Winter – On the Snow Events
- Snowshoeing events
- Kayaking on local rivers and lakes
Some of Our Goals for 2017:
- A revision and upgrade to the Hike Leaders/Organizers Program
- A revision and upgrade to the Registration/Fees/Waivers system
- A focus on adding more moderate weekend hikes
- A recognition program for KHC volunteers
- A review and policy development with respect to risk of KHC activities
- Development of success factors and strategies for membership-related issues
Some KHC History:
- In 2001, Katherine Roberts began the Kamloops Hiking Club as a meet up group for families to enjoy hiking, backpacking and camping together Back then, we advertised by posters in local outdoor stores and on community billboards. Our first contact numbers included pager numbers!
- In 2007, we joined the facebook community. Now members could sign up and have access to hike details at their fingertips.
- By 2011 we had over 100 facebook members with over half of these members attending over 60 hikes and trips per season.
- In 2012 we incorporated as a non-profit society under the direction of our 1st president, Doug Smith. Within the year we had 100 official members and an amazing website designed and run by Doug.
- By 2013 we were running over 200 events per year for nearly 150 members including hiking, backpacking, biking, kayaking, snowshoeing, Nordic skiing, out of town trips, seminars and potluck/social events. We also began participating and supporting the “Walk for Wildlife”, “World Rivers Day” and local trail building in our community. Not only were our activities expanding, but friendships both on and off the trail were growing.
- By 2016, we had 250 members , 13 board members, new young “webmasters” running our website, and over a dozen volunteer leaders. We ran over 300 events per year. We continue to carpool to cut down our carbon footprint and encourage our members to “leave nothing but footprints” on the trail.
- The success of our club can be credited to the hard work of our volunteers, the positive attitude of our members and the natural beauty of Canada that continues call us out on the trails and waterways we have grown to love and look forward to discovering.
- June 2011 article in the Kamloops News
Contact Us – Click here to contact us.
header photo – istock