With 70+ new members, there is now some pressure to have more spaces on Club events. Club Directors and Leaders are aware of this, but new Events are still a matter of a volunteer stepping forward with his/her time to organize and lead the outing. Some notes for those looking to book into a hike or snowshoe:
- There will always be a bit of a “logjam” at the start of January since events posted in December may have been first booked by renewing members. This logjam disappears after a couple of weeks.
- The least likely time to be able to book into an opening is about a week out. Events have openings early and late (but not in between for weekend events). If you have missed booking into an event, watch the event over the last two days for cancellations.
- There is no waiting list system.
- Members can comment about their interest if they choose to. This simply informs KHC leaders that there is lots of interest. Another leader may post a second event or the leader may choose to open more spaces, but neither is guaranteed. Hike Leaders will not be contacting the commenters about cancellations.
- Most Event Leaders prefer to keep the event group smaller for a number of reasons (group dynamics, keeping track of everyone, impact on the trails, increased responsibilities, more variables, etc.).
- New Events are posted at any time. The best way to book early into an event is to check regularly. Some long-term members check every day.
- KHC would like to avoid the book early-cancel late syndrome. Book if you plan to attend (not “just in case”) and if you have to cancel, do this early so someone else can book a place. To cancel, go to the My Bookings page.
- KHC believes in positive and supportive communications and asks all members to support this goal.