Hiking Season is fully underway and our hike leaders/organizers are offering a variety of events for members.
- We have capped off membership at 250 members.
- New Members were sent the first New Members newsletter last week.
- Our thanks to Frith Powell for taking care of KHC’s membership needs over the last year.
Hike Leaders News
- Hike Leaders/Organizers are KHC volunteers who do the best they can out on and off the trails.
- None of our hike leaders/organizers are professional guides, nor certified medics, nor climbing instructors.
- Though they organize the event and lead the way, each Club member is expected to follow KHC’s Guidelines and Expectations so that the success of each event is the whole group’s responsibility.
- Hike leaders can’t (and shouldn’t) carry all the additional first aid, safety, communications, and surplus equipment for the whole group. We list what everyone should bring and collectively we have what we need for contingencies on and off the trails.
- Each and every hiker on one of our outdoor events is responsible for making the best choices they can to ensure their own safety. If a section is uncomfortable, two-way communication is essential.
- Our Hike Leaders/Organizers are the keys to the Club’s success. They give us a day of their time for each outing and a simple thanks makes a big difference.
Frith Powell took on the role of Membership Services Director with KHC in 2016 and he continues is this role for 2017. Frith’s background is in IT, working in the Calgary area. Frith also worked with the Olympics in Calgary, then in Albertville, Lillehammer, and Atlanta. His expertise in IT has been an asset to KHC as he has automated the whole registration, waivers, email confirmation, fees and user accounts process.
Frith and Sheila Powell moved from the area to Kamloops in 2012 and became members of the Club. Sheila is a hike leader and Frith is also a Co-Leader. He hikes and snowshoes, but his passion is road biking He and Sheila have done many long-distance tours in Europe and throughout North America.
- Introduction to Photography for Beginners (II) – Thursday, April 22 (M. Dressler)
- Kalamalka Lake Hike – Saturday, April 29 (S. Chow and Katherine Roberts)
- Trails Alliance Work Party – Sunday, April 30 (Trails Alliance)
- Kentucky Alleyne Lakes Hike – Sunday, April 30 (K. Roberts/S. Chow)
- All Events
- Newly posted events
- See you on the trails!
Header photo by Ed Hennan.
Newsletter by D. Smith from Moab, UT