KHC Newsletter – February 11, 2018

KHChirps

  • Welcome to our newest new members – LeeAnn Meakes, Jon Pehowich, Georgina Flower, Marie Herridge, Ieashia partridge, and Monica Johnson.
  • A welcome email newsletter was sent by email to all new members (if you are new and didn’t see it, check your Spam folder).
  • We have 253 members.   The ratios of females to males is 68% to 32%.
  • Frith Powell who has spend the last 2.5 months working with all members to renew accounts and to register new members.   Frith makes sure everyone has completed a waiver and paid their fees, then creates user accounts on the website, working with each individual.   The Member Services role is a lot of work so on behalf of KHC, we are expressing a big Thank You!
  • An upcoming improvement to our website will be an improved Guest registration system.     More to come on this in the future.
  • Featured Trail – Tappen Bluffs

Some of our Places:

  • Lac le Jeune -Named after a Catholic priest – Jean-Marie Raphael le Jeune. He was the rector at St. Joseph’s Church on the Indian Reserve.   He spoke 20 languages and was a newspaper editor and one of the first to record First Nations languages into pamphlets.   Earlier names for the location were Fish Lake, Trout Lake, Chuwhels Lake, and Batchelor Lake.   The name was changed to Lac le Jeune in 1956 by the BC Geographical Names Office.
  • Lac du Bois – Lake of the Woods  (du = of the).   The historical name for the lake at the upper end of the grasslands bordering the montane forests, then used to describe the area and finally included as the name of the Park in 1996.  The Shuswap name was Hooleu, meaning a diver, a common bird here. To the fur traders this was “Lac le Bois”, marking the nearest source of good wood when Thompson’s River Post was on the North Kamloops site, and was also the centre of open bunch-grass pasture for the horse farm. Allan Mathews, a teacher, was reported to have “improved” the traders’ French and initiated use of Lac du Bois.   Adopted 7 June, 1927 as Lac du Bois, although an earlier card supplied by GBC identified “Du Bois Lake”.
  • Batchelor Hills – Adopted 21 December 1977 on 92I/NE as a well-established local name, in turn after an old-time rancher & prospector in the area.   Named early in this century for Owen Salisbury Batchelor, having previously been known as “Garde Laffertie” for the man in charge of the HBC horse range. Batchelor had farmed the upper Salmon River valley in 1885, but moved to Kamloops ten years later, and became jailer until succumbing to Klondike fever. On his return he ran several mining ventures, including the erection of a stamp mill just below these hills. He died in 1933. His son commented that the family fortune would have been made had Dad saved the money spent on staking claims throughout the district ! “Bachelor Hill” adopted 1 June 1926; spelling changed to Batchelor Hill 4 June 1959 on 92 I/9, the correct spelling of the family name.

Upcoming Events

Leave a Reply