New events are being posted at any time. The best way to spot them is to check the website often.
- Hike leaders post events once they have confirmed their personal schedules. Then they pick a date, time, location, and work out the details. Once the write-up is finished, the event is posted.
- Some leaders send a link to Facebook (KHC Members or Kamloops Hiking Club) right away. Sometimes leaders add a Topic (New Events) to the Forums too.
- Events farther down the schedule are often posted, but not yet enabled for registration. This is done to avoid the book-a-place-then-cancel-later problem. We usually put an asterisk after the event to indicate it is not ready for registration.
- We have added a new field to the event template to provide more information as to when the event will be enabled.
- Backpacking trips and camps are a little different. Leaders may have to arrange bookings, control the numbers, adjust the dates, check for readiness, and so on. Its a lot of work. Some leaders post them for expressions of interest and then resolve the issues before registering participants.
- A number of members like to comment that they are interested in an event before it is published. For regular day hikes (paddles, bikes, etc.), it is still a first-come, first-registered process. Most hike leaders will not be contacting the commenters individually, unless that is specifically stated in the event listing.
- KHC is very active right now. Lets get out to hike!